• B.A. in Political Science from the University of Connecticut
• Freelance writer/graphics; nominated for Emmy 2015/Producer for “Life on Mars: The Home Makeover Show"
• Intern, CT House Majority Leader
• Bridgeport Child Advocacy Coalition volunteer
• Parent of two children in Fairfield public schools
• Education, fiscal responsibility, senior tax relief, and green initiatives
I have always been interested in politics, particularly at the state and local level. Having worked for political leaders, I have developed a strong belief in the power of the individual. I stand for quality public education and a balanced fiscal policy that maintains the services & benefits of living in a community that feels a responsibility to all those who call it home.
Mark A. McDermott
MARK A. MCDERMOTT Deputy Moderator
• Incumbent RTM D7 member since 2015
• Member of RTM Education & Recreation Committee and the Senior & Disabled Tax Relief Committee, Secretary
• LIU – CW Post, MBA Marketing, 1991
• LIU – CW Post, BS Business Administration, Minor – Economics, 1983
- Member of Division I Lacrosse Team, 1982 & 1983
- Recipient of the James Dehoff Sideline Hustler Award, 1983
• Head Volunteer Coordinator for the Fairfield YMCA FlyFins Swim Team
• Central Connecticut Coast YMCA Volunteer of the Year Award Fairfield YMCA 2012
• Official Co-Chair Westport WRAT Swimming Team; USA Swimming, Stroke & Turn Official and YMCA, Level I Official
• Fairfield Rec Soccer - Girls head coach since 2009
• Married father of two children attending Fairfield public schools
• Work for American & Efird LLC – Global Retail Solutions, North East Manager
Education & Recreation, Senior & Disabled Tax Relief, Public Health & Safety, Public Works & Planning
I have been a resident of the great town of Fairfield for over 12 years and am an active member of the community, currently serving on the RTM, volunteering as an official for USA and YMCA Swimming as well as coaching Fairfield Rec girls soccer. I am passionate about the issues that impact our community and feel that the only way to make a difference is to get involved and give your time. In particular I want to ensure that today’s residents, and the future residents of Fairfield, are provided with the best educational and recreational resources in the country. I’m also committed to making sure that the health and safety of our residents is paramount. I will be fiscally responsible and I want to listen to your concerns and ask for your vote of confidence in representing those concerns as part of RTM District 7.
JILL VERGARA Deputy Majority Leader
• Incumbent RTM D7 member since 2015
• A.B. Honors from Brown University
• J.D. from New York University School of Law, NYU Law Review Articles Editor
• Litigation Associate with Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
• The White House Counsel’s Office, Clinton Administration, Judicial Nominations Paralegal
• U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Appellate Section Honors Paralegal
• U.S. Court of Federal Claims, Judicial Assistant to Judge Sarah L. Wilson
• NYU Law School, Research Assistant to local government scholar, focusing on municipal bond issues
• Rhode Island Commission for Human Rights, Intern
• U.S. Department of the Treasury, Intern
• Washington Area Lawyers for the Arts (WALA), Intern
• Sarah Doyle Women’s Center, Providence, RI, Staff Member
• Habitat for Humanity, volunteer
• MOMS Club of Fairfield South, Sunshine Committee Chair
• Art Smart, volunteer at Roger Sherman Elementary
• Married mother of two children in the Fairfield public school system
Education & Recreation; Public Works & Planning; Legislation & Administration, especially as related to property, zoning and labor issues
Since moving to Fairfield eight years ago, I have often called Fairfield “Shangri-La for families.” Fairfield is an amazing, almost magical, place because of its: 1) great schools, connected to close-knit, friendly neighborhoods; 2) beautiful beaches, parks and historic landmarks; and 3) thriving downtown, where people from all over come to sample the best food and shops in CT. As an RTM member, I’m committed to ensuring that these three elements—schools, beaches/parks/historic sites, and downtown businesses—continue to succeed and grow and shine, so that our fantastic town continues to attract new families and businesses. I love my neighborhood, and I feel passionately about serving for the community; I want to keep my neighborhood strong and interconnected, maintaining the foundation that will keep Fairfield a great place to live and raise a family for generations to come.
KAREN WACKERMAN Majority Leader
• Incumbent RTM D7 member since 2015.
• Attorney at Pullman & Comley LLC.
• BA from Smith College in Government, J.D. from Brooklyn Law School.
• Moved from Wilton to Fairfield in 2012 and love it!
• Former Professor, UConn LawSchool.
• Volunteer mentor in Bridgeport Public Schools.
• Parent of two grown children who were educated in public schools.
• Past Member Wilton Inland Wetlands Commission.
• In Wilton I was very active in my community as a Girl Scout Leader, PTA member, Wilton Congregational Church Board Member, and other roles.
• Past Chairman of the Board of Visiting Nurse and Hospice of Fairfield County, Member of Board of Directors for 12 years.
Schools, senior citizens, commercial and economic development.
I think Fairfield is an amazing place. It has so many assets – wonderful schools, beautiful beaches, a fun and very prosperous downtown, well-maintained public spaces, and so much more. On the RTM, I will continue to work hard to keep our town the wonderful place it is by seeing that services are maintained, the schools have what they need to provide an excellent education to our children, and taxes remain reasonable. Economic development will help to increase the town’s commercial tax base and keep homeowners’ taxes at a reasonable level, and I will support these efforts while ensuring that the special character of our wonderful town is preserved. I hope that my work on the RTM and the work of my colleagues there can help to ensure that Fairfield remains the great town it is and continues to be one of the best places in the country to raise children.