Fairfield Board of Selectmen
FIRST SELECTMAN MICHAEL C. TETREAU
725 Post Road
Following our resounding victory in the Special Election for the vacant seat on the Board of Selectmen a few weeks ago, I am excited by and especially proud of the passion and determination of our DTC. And, actually, of all those Fairfield Citizens who chose to participate in the election. I am looking forward to working with Kevin, a person with the experience, integrity, and intelligence to ably tackle the very real problems we face. I am confident we will do well!
Now about 21 months into my second term, I look back briefly at what we have done. I have to confess to a lot of excitement in building on those accomplishments in the next two-plus years.
Here are a few examples that I take special pride in:
• We achieved the lowest 4-year tax increase in over 15 years.
• We restored our top AAA credit rating
• We supported our top-quality & award-winning school system.
• We are saving $2.5 million per year through the use of sustainable fuels, and the rapidly increasing installation of solar panels on public buildings.
• We have greatly expanded our services for seniors and have over 2,000 members of our senior center.
• We have become a destination for Dining, Arts, Culture, and Shopping.
• We are just about finished with the clean-up of Mill River and restoring the Exide Battery factory site to productive use.
• We have one of the lowest commercial vacancy rates in Fairfield county.
• For 2016, we had the lowest tax increase in 15 years, at 1.6%.
For the four years I have been in office, we've had the lowest 6-year average tax increase in the past twenty years. And there is a lot more to go. I am excited about our future. I really do love this job.
I want to thank the residents of Fairfield for giving me the privilege of serving as First Selectman.
Mike Tetreau, June 26, 2017