Board of Education
- Chair of Fairfield Board of Education & Member since November, 2011
- President/CEO of Central Connecticut Coast YMCA (retired)
- Rotarian of the Year, 2014-2015
- Presented with the John Sullivan Award in 2014
- Served on Northampton County Council in PA.
- Served on Rye, NY Board of Education
- Married to Debby Dwyer for 48 years and resident of Fairfield for 25 years
- Our two children were educated and graduated from Fairfield Public Schools
Fiscal Responsibility: While advocating for ALL Fairfield students, we must make responsible and balanced fiscal decisions.
Academic Excellence: The BoE will maintain a focus on excellence and a positive school environment by implementing the NEW Five Year District Improvement Plan adopted on a 9-0 vote. Four Core Strategies include:
- Rigorous Instructional Program
- Individual School Improvement Plans
- District wide Leadership Capacity
- Educational Resources
Better Communications: The BoE has worked more closely with town bodies, parents and the larger community through attendance at PTA meetings, town legislative bodies, expanding public comment opportunities and holding Town Hall style BoE meetings. I pledge to continue and expand on those efforts.
I support our dedicated public servants who ensure 10,000 children receive a quality education. They must be treated with respect and dignity, while also being challenged to operate at the highest levels of competence and effectiveness. The Board of Education must be a model of decorum and public service for Fairfield with no personal agenda’s except for the education of ALL students who depend on public education for their foundation in life.
25 Shady Hill Road
- Graduate of Wesleyan University, BA in English
- Osborn Hill School (OHS) PTA Board/BoE Rep, 2007-11
- Strategic Planning Committee member 2008
- OHS Rep to Special Projects Standing Building Committee, 2008-11, and to BoE Task Force on Redistricting, 2009
- Fundraiser/St. Baldrick’s, 2010-present ($600k + raised)
- Strategic Planning Committee, Fairfield Public Library, 2014
Fairfield BoE Experience
- Board member 2011-present
- Board Secretary 2011-present
- BoE Liaison to Parks & Rec Commission (2011-present)
- Chair, BoE Ad hoc Communications Committee (2012-13)
- BoE Liaison to SEPTA (2012-13)
- BoE Liaison to OHS Building Committee (2013-present)
- BoE Liaison to FLHS Building Committee (2013-present)
Why am I running for a second term on the Fairfield BoE?
- To continue to approve and advocate for a sound, fiscally responsible school budget
- To participate in the rollout of the recently-approved District Improvement Plan
- To continue to advocate for improved and expanded communication
- To advocate for equitable facilities for all students in Fairfield
I first became involved with BoE issues when my oldest child entered the Fairfield Public School system in 2003. From 2003-2011, I served on my children’s school’s PTA and attended a multitude of town meetings related to education. In 2011, I was elected to my first term on the Fairfield BoE, where I quickly realized that, although my past experience helped prepare me for serving as a Board member, there was much more to learn. After four years of service on the BoE, I have gained a greater understanding of the complexities and challenges of our educational system and my goal is to use this knowledge and experience to continue to evolve and strengthen all of our public schools in Fairfield. As my youngest child enters the 8th grade, I remain committed to actively advocating for our children and our schools. I hope, with your support, to serve a second BoE term and to continue to be a voice for the parents, students and taxpayers of our town.
117 Edgewood Place
- B.A. in English from College of the Holy Cross, M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction from Fairfield University
- I have worked over 26 years in education – currently teaching at Greenwich High School
- I have three children in the Fairfield public school system.
- Current member of the Board of Education
- Have served four years as chair of the BoE Policy Committee, and as BoE liaison to SEPTA, FWHS Roof Committee and PTAC
- I have directed a townwide Odyssey of the Mind outreach and recruitment effort.
- Awarded PTAC's 2016 Alis B. McGrath Friend of Education Award
- Member of Stratfield, Tomlinson, and Warde PTAs
- Member of the Gaelic American Club
- Member of Our Lady of Assumption parish
- I am committed to the philosophy that education is best delivered and improved in a collaborative atmosphere involving communication among all stakeholders.
- I am committed to fiscal responsibility, in ensuring educationally-sound resource expenditure
- I am committed to a balanced focus on the achievement of all of Fairfield’s students
I have made a professional life commitment to education, which provides an invaluable perspective to reference in serving on the Board of Education. Professionally, I am expected to meet the needs of ALL of my students; that expectation forms my approach to serving on the BoE.